VTE President Guidance – Postponements
Application to postpone due to holiday arrangements:
- The listing of a tribunal hearing is an important matter which has resource implications for all concerned. Therefore as a general principle once a case is listed it is expected to proceed unless it is either agreed or withdrawn.
- A case will only be postponed for an exceptional reason.
- Holiday arrangements are not exceptional reasons for a postponement within the meaning of the Consolidated Practice Statement.
- Parties who are not available are generally expected to make arrangements for their cases to be dealt with by a colleague or alternative representation PS4(4) and (5)(b).
- Any application for a postponement on the above grounds is therefore unlikely to succeed and the tribunal will proceed to deal with the case in accordance with the directed timetable.