Please read this information before you fill in the appeal form

Please contact us if you have any questions or need any help filling in this form.

The Valuation Tribunal is independent and is not connected with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) or the council.

This form can be used to appeal against a penalty notice you have received from the council.

The council may fine you for not sending them some information. You must make a separate appeal for each fine you receive.  You must appeal within two months of the date you received the penalty notice.

The Tribunal president may accept a late appeal if there were circumstances beyond your control that stopped you from making your appeal in time. When you send us your appeal form, you should also explain in writing why it is late. There is a form on our website that helps you with this at or you can ask us for a printed copy.

How to fill in the appeal form

By law, you must give us this information to make an appeal.

We need your name or, if you are making an appeal for someone else, their name.

We need the address and postcode of the property you are appealing about.

Please tell us if you want us to write to you at a different address from the one you have written down in section 2. Most people put their own case forward and you do not have to use a surveyor or solicitor. But you may prefer to have someone else deal with your appeal, either a professional person such as a surveyor, or a family member or friend. We need to know the name of anyone dealing with the appeal for you and how to contact you or them. A phone number helps us to make contact quickly, in any case.

We would prefer to send you notices and contact you by email. If you are happy with that, please give us your email address. If you would rather we used other ways please tick the ‘By phone/post’ box.

Because there are time limits as we explained above, we need to know the date the penalty notice was sent to you and you should send us a copy of the notice you are appealing against.

Please tell us why you disagree with the penalty notice being issued to you.

You can send us any documents that support your case. However, we can’t return them to you, so please don’t send important, original documents.

Other information

When we have received your appeal, we will send you a letter telling you what happens next. Our website, has sections called ‘Preparing for the hearing’ and ‘About the hearing’, which may help you. You can also see a list of the hearing venues we use.

Your local council will be able to answer any questions you have about council tax or rates bills or payments. You must still pay your bill, even if you are making an appeal to the Tribunal.

Data Protection

By law (regulation 28(2) of the Valuation Tribunal for England (Council Tax and Rating Appeals) (Procedure) Regulations 2009) we have to send a copy of your appeal form to the organisation whose decision you are appealing against (the VOA or council).

We will only use the information you give us in connection with your appeal, as the data protection laws allow. The VTS has to use your data to carry out its official duties. We keep the information until four months after the appeal is closed and we have to keep a record of the decision for six years.

As a user of our service, you could give us valuable feedback. We may wish to use your contact details to seek anonymous, statistical feedback to improve the service we provide. As it is in the public interest that we carry out our duties as well as we can, we can use an independent research company, bound by contract and professional conduct standards to handle personal data securely.You may of course refuse to take part in the survey if you are contacted.

You can read more about how we handle your personal data and your rights in our Privacy Notice, which is on our website, at or you can ask us for a copy.

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email:, or by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
VTS 2nd Floor
120 Leman Street
London E1 8EU







Welcome to the Valuation Tribunal Service

Please choose from the following options or click the X above to go to the site home page.