Please read this information before you fill in the appeal form

Please contact us if you:

  • have any questions
  • need any help filling in this form
  • would like a copy in another format, such as large print
  • would like a copy in another language.

The tribunal is independent and is not connected with the council.

You can use this form to appeal to us against the amount of council tax you have to pay for either of the reasons below.

  • You think that, under the rules of the local council tax reduction scheme, the council should have given you a reduction on the council tax you pay.
  • You think the amount of reduction the council have given you under the local council tax reduction scheme is not correct.

You cannot appeal to us about the rules that the council have put in their scheme, only about how the rules have been applied to your case.

If you want to appeal against your liability for council tax, please use the form for council tax liability appeals on our website or call us 0300 123 2035.

How to appeal and when

Before you can appeal to us, you need to have written to the council explaining what you disagree with in their decision about your council tax reduction. The council should have sent you a reply within two months. If you are not happy with the council’s reply, you can appeal to us. If you want to appeal, you must contact us within two months of the date of the council’s reply.

If the council have not replied to you within two months, you can appeal to us as long as not more than four months have passed since you wrote to them.

If you think you might have missed these time limits, please contact us. We can accept a late appeal in certain circumstances.

Notes to help you fill in the appeal form

We need to know the address of the property that you have claimed council tax reduction for and now want to appeal about.  Please tick ‘Yes’ if your claim is about the council tax you have to pay on the property address you gave above. Please tick ‘No’ if the appeal is about a claim for council tax reduction at a different address and write that address in the box below it.

As there are time limits for making an appeal, we need to know the date you wrote to the council about their decision on your claim, not the date you first claimed council tax reduction. Then, tell us the date the council wrote back to you saying you could appeal to us. If the council have not written back and it is more than two months since you wrote to them, please tick the box.

Please explain your reasons for appealing. Remember that you can only appeal about how the rules of the local council tax reduction scheme have been used in your case. You can’t appeal to us about the rules the council have decided to put in their scheme, only about how the rules have been applied to your case.

Please attach a copy of the council’s decision if you received one, and any other supporting documents. We cannot return anything to you, so please send copies and not original documents.

Other information

When we have received your appeal, we will send you a letter telling you what happens next. We will also send you a guidance booklet, or you can look at this on our website, The website sections ‘Preparing for the hearing’ and ‘About the hearing’ may help you. You can also see a list of the hearing venues we use.

Your local council will be able to answer any questions you have about council tax bills or payments. You must still pay your council tax bill, even if you are making an appeal to the Tribunal.

Data Protection

By law (regulation 20A of the Valuation Tribunal for England (Council Tax and Rating Appeals) (Procedure) Regulations 2009 as amended) we need this information from you to make an appeal and we have to send a copy of your appeal to the council (regulation 28(2)).

We will only use the information you give us in connection with your appeal, as the data protection laws allow. The VTS has to use your data to carry out its official duties. We keep the information until four months after the appeal is closed and we have to keep a record of the decision for six years.

As a user of our service, you could give us valuable feedback. We may wish to use your contact details to seek anonymous, statistical feedback to improve the service we provide. As it is in the public interest that we carry out our duties as well as we can, we can use an independent research company, bound by contract and professional conduct standards to handle personal data securely. You may of course refuse to take part in the survey if you are contacted.

You can read more about how we handle your personal data and your rights in our Privacy Notice, which is on our website, at or you can ask us for a copy.

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email:, or by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
VTS, 2nd Floor
120 Leman Street
London E1 8EU.


Welcome to the Valuation Tribunal Service

Please choose from the following options or click the X above to go to the site home page.