Welcome to the Valuation Tribunal Service

Please choose from the following options or click the X above to go to the site home page.

Please read this information before you fill in the appeal form

Please contact us if you have any questions or need any help filling in this form.

The Valuation Tribunal is independent and is not connected with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) or the council.

You can appeal against a decision made by the VOA listing officer about your property’s entry in the council tax list. If you disagree with the decision, for example, because you feel that the council tax band is wrong, or that your property should not be in the list at all, you must make an appeal within three months of the date you received their decision notice.

The Tribunal president may accept a late appeal if there were circumstances beyond your control that stopped you from appealing in time. When you send us your appeal form, you should also explain in writing why it is late. You can ask us for a form or there is one on our website, https://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/forms/late-application/

How to fill in the appeal form

By law, (regulation 10(5) of the Council Tax (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) (England) Regulations 2009 as amended), you must give us this information to make an appeal.

Please give us the ID/Case number from the Decision of the VOA Listing Officer, if you received a decision.

We need your name or, if you are making an appeal for someone else, their name.

We need the address and postcode of the property you are appealing about.

Please tell us if you want us to write to you at a different address from the one you have written down in section 2. Most people put their own case forward and you do not have to use a surveyor or solicitor. But you may prefer to have someone else deal with your appeal, either a professional person such as a surveyor, or a family member or friend. We need to know the name of anyone dealing with the appeal for you and how to contact you or them. A phone number helps us make contact quickly if we need to, in any case.

We would prefer to send you notices and contact you by email. If you are happy with that, please give us your email address. If you would rather we used other ways please tick the ‘By phone/post’ box.

By law (regulation 25(2) of the Valuation Tribunal for England (Council Tax and Rating Appeals) (Procedure) Regulations 2009) we have to send notices to anyone who could legally be involved with the appeal. For example, if you rent the property and do not have a lease to occupy it for six months or more, then we also have to send a notice to the owner.  Please give the names and addresses of anyone else not connected to you but who has a connection with the property, who you think should be involved in the appeal.

We must have a copy of the notice you are appealing against. We will not be able to accept your appeal without it.

We also need to know who made the proposal to the listing officer in the first place, so if it was not you, please give us the other person’s name. If more than one person makes an appeal about the same property, there are rules about which appeal we will hear. We will tell you more about this when we write to you.

Please tell us why you disagree with the VOA’s notice and what change you want the Tribunal to make. The Tribunal cannot consider the amount of council tax set by the local authority, the services the council provides or whether you are able to pay council tax. You can send us any documents that support your case. However, we can’t return them to you, so please don’t send important, original documents.

Other information

When we have received your appeal, we will send you a letter telling you what happens next. We will also send you a guidance booklet, or you can look at this on our website, www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk. The website sections ‘Preparing for the hearing’ and ‘About the hearing’ may help you. You can also see a list of the hearing venues we use.

Your local council will be able to answer any questions about council tax bills or payments. You must still pay your council tax bill, even if you are making an appeal to the Tribunal.

Data Protection

By law (regulation 25(2) of the Valuation Tribunal for England (Council Tax and Rating Appeals) (Procedure) Regulations 2009) we have to send a copy of your appeal to the VOA listing officer.

We will only use the information you give us in connection with your appeal, as the data protection laws allow. The VTS has to use your data to carry out its official duties. We keep the information until four months after the appeal is closed and we have to keep a record of the decision for six years.

As a user of our service, you could give us valuable feedback. We may wish to use your contact details to seek anonymous, statistical feedback to improve the service we provide. As it is in the public interest that we carry out our duties as well as we can, we can use an independent research company, bound by contract and professional conduct standards to handle personal data securely. You may of course refuse to take part in the survey if you are contacted.

You can read more about how we handle your personal data and your rights in our Privacy Notice, which is on our website, at https://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/privacy/ or you can ask us for a copy.

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email: dpo@valuationtribunal.gov.uk, or by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
VTS 2nd Floor
120 Leman Street
London E1 8EU