Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Council Tax Reduction


Council tax reduction (sometimes called council tax support) replaced council tax benefit, which was abolished in April 2013.

In council tax reduction (CTR), each council has a local ‘scheme’. This shows the rules that the council will use to work out whether a person should get a council tax reduction and, if so, how much.

If you do not understand the way the council tax reduction scheme has been applied in working out your council tax bill, you must speak to your local council. Their contact details will be on the bill.

If you disagree with the decision the council has made about your council tax reduction, in some cases you will be able to appeal to us, the Valuation Tribunal.

You can appeal to us against your council’s decision about -

  • whether you are entitled to a council tax reduction
  • how much council tax reduction the council has awarded you under the local scheme.

The Tribunal cannot hear appeals about the contents of the council’s scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your individual case.

Before you can appeal to us, you need to have written to the council explaining what you disagree with in their decision about your council tax reduction.

If you cannot find the information you need here, call us on 0300 123 1033.

Contact Us
Link to council tax section on GOV.UK